CISRS has introduced a mandatory New Entrant Trainee and Scaffolding Labourer course into the scheme. The new must-have CISRS training makes it a requirement for any new entrant Scaffolding Trainee or Scaffolding Labourer to complete a CISRS one-day course before a card will be issued. This will go live from September 1st 2013.
The new training courses will be carried out at CISRS-approved centres across the UK. Alternatively, the courses can be run ‘in-house’ by a suitably qualified member of staff – assuming the facilities exist to carry out the training. Any scaffolding company wishing to do ‘in-house’ training will be required to make an application to CISRS to deliver this course, and will have their eligibility assessed before being allowed to conduct the courses.
The CISRS New Entrant Labourer course will include:
- Relevant Regulations and Codes of Practice
- General Responsibilities
- Basic Scaffold Terminology (Components & Application)
- Servicing of Equipment, Tube, Fittings etc.
- Boards & Stock – Quality Control
- Health, Welfare, Hygiene & Housekeeping
- Electrical Safety
- Fire Prevention & Control
- Noise & Vibration
- Work at Height
- Accident Prevention & Reporting
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Site Transport Safety (Including Loading & Unloading)
- Equipment & Tools
- Manual Handling (Including a practical element)
- Lifting Equipment Using a Rope & Wheel
- Questions/Test Paper
Operatives wishing to apply for the New Entrant Trainee/Scaffolding Labourer card must also pass a CITB – Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment Test (or possess a recognised exemption). Applicants should apply for their card within two years of the test date or they will have to complete another test.
CISRS scaffolding labourers will be required to repeat this course on a five yearly cycle – as refresher training prior to renewing their card. Existing CISRS Scaffolding Labourer cardholders will be required to complete the course upon expiry of their current card and prior to a new card being issued as part of a new ‘CISRS Scaffolding Labourer Refresher Training’ scheme.